Overview of S/4HANA
S/4HANA is the next gen ERP business suite running on SAP’s innovative in-memory database, SAP HANA. It provides most advanced user experience with SAP Fiori and supports Business with most simplified data footprint, enhanced facilities, greater flexibility and better performance. It also got the personalized UX in real time on any devices such as social networks, IOT, Big Data and any Business. SAP introduced S/4HANA to seize all their business partners’ attention towards HANA DB. SAP S/4HANA is a revolutionary in-memory computing platform which redefines on how it creates value across businesses with fastest perceptions.
Diagram here is an Overview of S/4HANA Services: It supports simplified Data Models and Integrated Fiori-based UI & role-based access. Mouritech mainly focuses on S/4HANA Migrations and Upgrades as well as SAP HANA assessments
- As we all know that S/4HANA is a new generation Business Suite from SAP categorized by massively increased efficiency, simplifications, and compelling features such as planning & simulation options in many conventional transactions.
- Unlike ECC, S/4HANA will run on HANA DB only. HANA is an advanced in-memory DB which reads data much faster than all other traditional databases available in market.
- Data structures for different components like FI, CO, AA, CO-PA and ML are embedded into single line item table called ACDOCA which is also known as Universal Journal. 26+ tables are eliminated by introducing MATDOC a new line item table for Inventory Management.
- Extended Warehouse Management and Transportation Management are the two standalone SAP Solutions unified in S/4HANA.
- Central Finance, Cash Management and Optimized BPC for S/4HANA are the new added Functional Capabilities in S/4HANA which comes with additional Licensing.
- One of the key differences between ECC and S/4HANA is the new user interface offering rich and initiative User Practice.
- Benefits with S/4HANA are new User Interface, reduced data volume, high in flexibility and higher throughput.
- Key Benefits with Embedded Analytics which allows users to perform Real-time analytics on live transactional data.
- HANA’s column-based tables enables faster access, better compression and parallel processing.
Transformation (conversion) to S/4HANA
Transition to S/4HANA has three scenarios.
New implementation of S/4HANA is also known as Greenfield approach.
Customers can convert their existing SAP system to S/4HANA.
Customers can migrate their entire Business Suite landscape globally into S/4HANA.
MOURI Tech has a specialized experience over Implementing and Configuring various SAP and SAP S/4HANA projects across multiple Organizations. We deliver complete solutions for Customers who are planning to SAP S/4HANA.
SAP S/4HANA can be implemented from SAP ECC EHP 6.0 version.
|SAP ECC below 6 non-Unicode (Non-HANA DB)||Option:1 |
1.Unicode Conversion and Upgrading ECC 6 EHP version to 6
2.Migrating DB to HANA.
3.Finally Converting system to S/4HANA.
1. All together Unicode Conversion, SAP EHP upgrade and DB
Migration to HANA.
2. Conversion to S/4HANA.
1.Unicode Conversion alongside with EHP upgrade.
2.SAP S/4HANA Conversion with DB Migration to HANA.
|SAP ECC 6 EHP 6.0 x (Non-HANA DB)|| One Step: |
1.Converting system to S/4HANA along with HANA DB migration in single step using SUM with DMO option.
2. Migrating to HANA DB.
3. Then after converting system to S/4HANA.
|SAP ECC 6 EHP 6.0 x (HANA DB)||This is the simplest approach using SUM ECC system can be converted to S/4HANA directly.|
Cloud Private Option
Cloud Public Option
Customer S/4HANA Enterprise Management
Cloud Private Option S/4HANA Enterprise Management Cloud, private option
Cloud Public Option S/4HANA Enterprise Management Cloud.
S/4HANA Professional Services Cloud
S/4HANA Marketing Cloud
|SAP S/4HANA has got same backend code line in both Editions. S/4HANA on-premise can also be hosted on Cloud (it might be public or private cloud) other than customer’s premise.|
S/4HANA Cloud has two deployment options from SAP:
* Private Cloud – Here the system is being managed by SAP on cloud and flexibility will be like S/4HANA on-premise version.
* Public Cloud – Here SAP restricted the system modifications and recommends to follow the SAP best practices.
PHASES IN S/4HANA conversion
SAP had provided a process for implementing S/4HANA Conversion smoothly. Below figure describes about the overview of tools, activities and phases involved in this process.
Firstly, SAP system must be an AS-ABAP instance only, Conversion was not supported for dual-stack systems. If the systems are Dual-stack it must split the system prior migrating it to S/4HANA. Preparing the system for S/4HANA upgrade is the most important activity which involves SAP Notes like TCI note implementation (newly introduced), preparation checks (SAP Readiness Checks, SI checks), removing Components from system which are not compatible in conversion to S/4HANA and Custom-code migration (Code optimization).
Realization Phase is that where actual conversion of the system starts using Software Update Manager (SUM). SUM has also got Database Migration Option (DMO) by which migration of traditional DBs to SAP HANA DB can be done. Also, SAP Data Volume Management Work Center (SAP DVM WoC) can be used to reduce the Conversion time by minimizing the data foot print for lesser load sizes. It also offers different options supporting pre and post phases. Early Watch Client – 066 was removed from S/4HANA.
With respect to the Application area there are different follow-on activities that need to be carried out and obsolete data must be erased from system after successful SUM upgrade.
MOURI Tech STRATEGY
MOURI Tech will come up with a strategy based on the customer’s inputs and requirements. Our team will design the road-maps and implement plans considering all the pros & cons. Case studies with our past clients will explain how smoothly we handled implementations and managed services as per their requests.
- SAP S/4HANA Conversion Guide & http://www.kaartech.com/blog/2018/06/13/sap-landscape-transformation-s4hana/
Contact us for further details:
Sai Kumar DUDALA
Sr. SAP Technical Consultant – SAP BASIS & HANA