An Overview On Octopus Deploy
Octopus Deploy is a software that automates the deployment of Windows services and ASP.NET web applications to Test, Staging and Production environments on-premise as well as in the cloud.
FUNCTIONALITIES OF OCTOPUS DEPLOY:
Version Control Systems: The developer will develop the code according to the requirements and it will be pushed to the Source Code Repository along with all the dependencies.
Example: GitHub, SVN, Mercurial, Monotone, Veracity etc.
Build/CI server: The code will be pulled by the DevOps engineers. It will be built using CI server and the outcome of this step will be an Artifact (war/jar/ear files) which contains binaries, images and scripts respective to the code.
Example: Jenkins, JetBrains TeamCity, Atlassian Bamboo, Travis CI etc.
Octopus Deploy: Here comes the usage of Octopus Deploy where the Artifact is deployed to the respective environments such as Test, Staging and Production. This approach restricts people working on specific environment to that particular area. Hence, the deployment would be consistent.
WHY OCTOPUS DEPLOY?
Octopus Deploy is mainly developed for the process of deployment. With Octopus Deploy, we get error-free and consistent deployments unlike the regular manual deployments. We don’t have to create copies of our configuration files every time we commit to a new deployment. Octopus keeps track of all the deployments both on-premise and cloud.
- Orchestrates the environments (DEV, QA, UAT and Production).
- Limits the users to deploy in their specific environment.
- Supports high-level deployment patterns.
- Keeps track of the deployment and displays it on the dashboard.
- Provides high-level platform support useful for integration of various tools.
- Migration of the project to Octopus does not change the existing configurations.
- Deployments can be automated on-premise as well as in the cloud.
Octopus Deploy thus possesses a wide range of platform support and deployment patterns which makes it easier for the deployments.
Contact us for more details:
Hassan Ali Syed
DevOps Technical lead,