SAP Variant Configuration
SAP Variant configuration is intended for the manufacturing of complex products, where the manufacturer often offers new variants of products. The product configurator improves communication between the sales, manufacturing, and production departments. Variant configuration helps the customer to acquire the product of his specification economically.
Variant configuration serves the following key purposes:
- Configuring complex products on customer’s request
- Making expert knowledge interactively available
- Product information management
- Price calculation for product variants
SAP Variant configuration is used in various industries such as the manufacture of aeronautical, automobiles, hydraulic elevators, PCs, pumps, furniture, motorcycles, cables, endoscopes, chemical adhesives, and so on.
- Optimized usability
- Cost reduction
- Quick response to customers’ requirements
- User-friendly classification capabilities
- Improved sales and product engineering performance
- Enhanced profits and revenue growth with better product personalization
- Better customer satisfaction
- Lesser time to create a configured quote
- No need to create a separate material master for each variant combination
- More flexible to customer’s requirements
- More power to the salespeople to offer customized products
- Supplier benefits include – determining their classes, setting conditions, and creating a product master to serve as a prototype
- End-user benefits include – ease of using the application and getting a chance to test the possible modification to find the right product
With variant configuration, there would not be any need to create a separate material for each variant of the product. We can use one configurable material to cover all the variants. We can create a Super Bill of Material (BOM) and Super Routing for the configurable material. Super BOM and Super Routing contain all the components and operations for all the product variants.
For example, consider a car whose characteristics are engine, extras, transmission, paintwork, and wheels. If the customer orders the final product with 2500 engine, 5-gear transmission, steel wheels, and red color, we can produce the variant product based on select characteristics value present in the sales order. The variant product has a different probability; hence the price also varies.
Characteristics describe the properties of objects. Values like Single/Multiple/Table must be assigned. Create a variant class of class type 300 and assign the characteristics. This class holds the characteristics that describe the configuration material. Assign configurable material of type KMAT to the class. Otherwise check the indicator configurable in the material master.
In the Material Requirement Planning (MRP) data, enter the parameters for configurable material that control the transfer of requirement and availability checks. Each configurable object must have a configuration profile. The configuration profile for a material controls the configuration process in a sales order. Use dependencies to allow all the combinations of features. Dependencies select exactly the right BOM components and operation to produce a variant product.
We can calculate the price of a variant depending on the characteristic’s values assigned. We can use variant conditions to determine sales order prices like surcharges or discounts for a variant.
Configuration of Material
- Transaction code MM01
- Basic Data -> Select Material is configurable checkbox (client-specific configuration sub screen)
- Sales Data -> Item category group type – 0002/0004
- MRP Data -> MRP1 -> MRP Type – ND, MRP Lot Size – EX
- MRP2 -> Availability check – 02
Consider a scenario where a supplier needs to know the packaging material needed to be based on the customer’s order quantity at the sales order level. The price varies depending upon the packaging material.
Create a sales order for cable material with characteristics like factor, individual length, and so on. Then calculate the order quantity and determine the package material category. Package material is automatically selected based on order quantity.
Use object dependency for calculating order quantity using CU01 and assign it to configuration material.
Prerequisites for determining the packaging material:
Logistics – General -> Reel Calculation -> Set plant data
Create object dependence using the procedure below sample code.
(SAP_MILLCA_PACKAGING_CAT = $SELF.SAP_MILLCA_PACKAGING_CAT,
SAP_MILLCA_PACKAGING = $SELF.SAP_MILLCA_PACKAGING,
SAP_MILLCA_LENGTH = $SELF.SAP_MILLCA_LENGTH,
SAP_MILLCA_MATNR = $SELF.SAP_MILLCA_MATNR,
SAP_MILLCA_WERKS = $SELF.SAP_MILLCA_WERKS)
Create a variant function module using CU65.
Import Parameter: GLOBAL TYPE CUOV_00
Table Parameters: QUERY LIKE CUOV_01, MATCH LIKE CUOV_01
Exception: FAIL, INTERNAL_ERROR
The following application variant configuration is integrated:
- CA Classification
- LO Material Master
- MM Purchasing
- SD Sales and Conditions
- PP Bill of Material, Routings, Material Requirement Planning and Production Orders
- PI Masters Recipes and CO Costing
Useful Transaction codes
CT01 Create Characteristics
CL01 Create Class
CU41 Create Configuration Profile
CU01 Create Object dependencies
CU21 Dependency Net
CU65 Create Variant Function
CU61 Create Variant table
Contact for further details
Sr. Technical Architect – ERP SAP Technical